Gardenia Care - Knowledgebase Question

New York, Ne
Question by khilfi
I purchased 2 gardenia topiary trees approximately 1 month ago and one of them has lost all of its leaves but seems to still be alive and the other one seems to be heading in the same direction. Leaves are turning yellow and dropping off. I have it outside in a container sitting on a tray with pebbles. Watering daily. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Karla

0

It's possible that you are overwatering your gardenias. Although in very hot weather, container plants may need watering every day, that seems like a lot as a regular watering schedule. When you do water you want to water well enough to soak the entire rootball, but hten you want to let the top inch of soil dry out before you water well again. If the soil is continually saturated, the plant roots can't get the oxygen they need. You also want to make sure that you don't leave the plant sitting in any water that drains out of the pot for more than about a half an hour. A tray with pebbles is fine as long as any water around the pebbles is lower than the bottom of the pot. You might want to check and make sure the plants aren't too pot bound. Tip the plants on their side and carefully slide the rootballs out a ways. If the roots are encircling the rootball or have grown into a dense mass, move the plants into pots that about 2 inches bigger in diameter than the pots they are currently in.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"