Feeding tomato plants - Knowledgebase Question

Bay Shore, Ne
Question by judomi4
How often should I feed my tomato plants? Do I have to add lime to the soil in a container?

0

Tomatoes need nitrogen at the start of their growing for green healthy leaves. Try fish emulsion for an organic source of nitrogen. Phosphorous is needed to help flower and set fruit. Put it in the planting hole so it's ready for the roots to uptake. Bone meal is a good organic source of phosphorous. Or, start with a balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10 until plants establish and then switch to a fertilizer with a higher phosphorous concentration such as 15-30-15. How often to apply depends on the product and whether you are growing in a garden or container. Containers usually need more frequent feeding because nutrients leach away with more frequent watering. You can use a slow-release fertilizer in containers, which will last 90 days or more depending on product. You do not need to add lime to soil in a container, assuming you are using a good quality potting soil. (Don't use garden soil in pots.) Hope this info helps.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"