whisteria...non-flowering - Knowledgebase Question

rockville centre, Ne
Question by rjg307
I've had his vine for approx. 10 yrs. I've done almost everythig possible to get this to flower.
What do you advise?

0

Wisteria may take years to bloom if it was started as a seedling, as opposed to being started by a cutting or a grafted plant. Withhold all nitrogen fertilizer, as nitrogen promotes the growth of foliage at the expense of blooms. Fertilize with a phosphorus source (bone meal) or a fertilizer with a high middle number, such as a bulb fertilizer (0-45-0). Make sure the plant isn?t getting lawn fertilizer, either from your own grass or a neighbor?s as roots can spread and soak up nutrients from afar. Make sure the plant hasn?t been taken over by ?suckers? which are shoots that arise from below a graft point, as they can grow vigorously, but not bloom. Also, large wisteria actually bloom a bit better if slightly stressed for food and water, so other than the phosphorus, don?t feed or overwater. Wisteria bloom best when planted in full sunshine, and pruned in late winter to encourage the production of new flowering wood. I hope this helps.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"