Pruning fig tree - Knowledgebase Question

Fairfield, Ca
Question by vinshe
I just bought a black jack fig tree. I have read that you should prune the tree to half the size to help it grow. I was wondering if I should do that now or wait until next spring when I prune my other trees?
Thanks,

0

When a fig tree is first planted, you should trim a fig tree back by about half. So now is fine. This will allow the tree to focus on developing its roots and becoming well established. It will also help the fig tree grow side branches for a bushier tree.

In the next winter yr 2011-2012 after transplanting, it is best to start pruning fig trees for ?fruiting wood.? This is wood that you will be pruning to help keep the fruit healthy and easy to reach. Select 4 ? 6 branches to be your fruiting wood and prune away the rest.

Keep in mind that pruning it now (during the summer) will require you to pay a little more attention to its watering care as the tree establishes.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"