Hollyhocks dropping leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Wheaton, Il
Question by billroskuszk
Do you know what may be causing all my Hollyhocks to be dropping their leaves. The leaves have brownish orange spots or bumps on the underside. I live in Northern Il it has been rainy this spring.

0

A good fall clean up routine can help with this problem, but hollyhocks and rust are a frequent pair. An all-purpose neem-based repellent, such as Neem-Away may help to control it. Rust is a fungus and is ever-present in the environment, just waiting for warm, humid conditions to favor its growth. The best deterrent is to grow your hollyhocks in a sunny place with good air circulation to help the leaf surfaces dry quickly and discourage the sprouting of spores. Also, avoid overhead watering, especially in the evening. Remove any leaves that have the slivery-gray or orange growth on the undersides promptly. If it looks like you'll be in an on-going battle with this problem, you might try using 'Soap Shield' to try to prevent future outbreaks. Hope this helps and good luck!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"