Insects - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburgh, Pe
Question by vandzy327
I planted wave petunias and have had luck with them in the past. This year, half of the plants are doing ok...not terrific, just ok. The other half are dieing or are dead. It seems as though they dried up and some of them seem like something was eating them. This year I noticed so many black ants and the smaller ants. Could they be killing the petunias?

0

The ants probably are not killing your petunias but they may be attracted because aphids are feeding on your plants. When aphids feed they exude a sticky substance called honeydew. Ants love this as a food source. If you can get rid of the aphids, the ants will go away, too. Insecticidal soaps will help control the aphid population. Good luck with your petunias.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"