Squash bugs? - Knowledgebase Question

Canton, Ge
Question by melanimcdani
I think my pumpkins have squash bugs eating the flowers and vines. I noticed brown eggs and now I found grayish white bugs which have destroyed a lot in one day. I bought an organic product this morn., let it dry, then watered and bugs are back. The bugs seemed to be gone earlier but have returned. Is Sevin my best option to save the remaining vines? Should I water then apply the Sevin spray?

0

Squash bugs are about 1/2" long, brown or grey, and shaped a bit like a shield. They suck the juices out of leaves and stems. They feed in groups. To control them, find their masses of yellow to reddish-brown eggs on the underside of leaves and squash them. The adult bugs like to hide in leaf litter or under boards, stones, etc. at night. Since they overwinter under garden debris, and there is only one generation per year, it is possible to reduce their population with diligence early in the season. You can place boards or similar around plants, then go out early in the morning to kill any bugs hiding underneath. Pull mulch away from the base of plants too, to eliminate hiding places. Row covers can exclude the insects, if placed on plants early in the season. You'll need to hand-pollinate flowers, however. Rotate crops every planting season and clean up plant debris, where the bugs can overwinter. The following link further discusses the use of chemical controls. Always follow the label instructions exactly when applying any pesticide. Good luck!

http://www.garden.org/searchqa...

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"