Day Lilies Reblooming - Knowledgebase Question

bound brook, Ne
Question by mtpatten
How can I get day lilies to continue blooming after the first bloom? I read that for stella d'oraa daylilies, one should cut the flowering stem when all the flowers on that stem are dead. Is this true? Will it work for other types of day lilies?

0

What you've read is correct - for daylilies. As soon as the flowers are spent, snap them off the flower stem. More will open (for only a day) and if you keep snapping them off, new ones will form. When no more flowers form on the stalk, cut the flowering stalk down to foliage level. New flower stalks will emerge from the plant all summer long if you keep the spent flowers removed.

Other lilies produce only one flush of flowers and when the flowers are spent, cut or snap them off but leave the stem and the leaves alone to die back on their own. Hope this clarifies things for you.Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"