Cats in garden - Knowledgebase Question

South Range, Wi
Question by kingrunt
Any ideas on how to keep my cats from using the gardens as litter boxes? Love my kitties except for this. I know it's not exactly a plant question but had to try. Thank you.

0

You can't blame cats for wanting to dig in fresh, sweet soil, but it can be bothersome to have them digging in your flower beds. Cats are creatures of habit. The key is to break that habit by making their experience in your flower bed an unpleasant one. The best way to deter cats is to put a barrier between them and the soil. The cats will learn quickly and you can remove the barrier in a few weeks. You can put up a temporary barrier until they learn not to visit your garden, or you can place decorative stone or large pieces of bark over the soil surface between your plants to keep cats from digging. For flower beds, try chicken wire over the soil - cats don't like to walk on it. An inexpensive deterrent consists of stakes placed around your flower bed with nylon fishing line strung from stake to stake. Keep the line about 6" above the soil surface and make sure it criss-crosses every 8". Cats entering the bed will quickly exit because they'll be afraid of getting their legs caught. Once the cats associate fear with being near the flower bed, they'll stop visiting. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"