Oregano Watering in Baltimore MD - Knowledgebase Question

Randallstown, Ma
Question by sletschin
I recently started a herb garden in Baltimore, MD using one of my raised beds. It contains a variety of herbs. Everything seems to be growing well except from the golden oregano. I transplanted from seedling. It seems to be really struggling and is primarily brown leaves and stalks. How much water should I be giving this plant to get it established? What about fertilizer?

0

Oregano doesn't require anything different than other herbs, i.e., extremely good drainage and full sun. Herbs don't like overly wet soil or need much fertilizer. I wouldn't fertilize now, which will "force" the plant to grow when it's already under stress. Sometimes a transplant is just not vigorous or it may suffer from transplant shock or roots may be damaged. Since you've been successful with the other herbs, I'd continue with what you're doing and chalk this one up to a less vigorous plant.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"