Amaryllis - Knowledgebase Question

Buffalo, Ne
Question by autumnjoy36
The three leaves on my amaryllis are thirty inches long! There yellowing on tip of one leaf only. I'm afraid they will break off before completely dying out. Do you think its OK to just cut them off now? I did not get any blooms this year and want to give it one more chance to bloom but the foliage is still pretty healthy.

0

Don't cut the foliage off! It is storing nutrients to the bulb for next year's growth and bloom. Here?s some basic info on fertilizer and nutrients that plants require. The 3 numbers on a fertilizer bag refer to the percentage of N (nitrogen), P (phosphorus), and K (potassium) in the bag. There are different formulations for different purposes. In general terms, nitrogen produces lush green growth, phosphorus helps strengthen stems and produce flowers, and potassium keeps the root system healthy. If you're applying fertilizer to fruiting (e.g., tomatoes) or flowering plants, you're not as interested in the plant developing leaves as you are in it flowers and fruit, so you'd use a formulation lower in nitrogen and higher in phosphorus. Or find a bulb fertilizer and follow package instructions. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"