prep backyard for garden - Knowledgebase Question

Pacifica, Ca
Question by guru533
Hi, I just brought a house and the backyard has not been kept up at all. I want to clear it out and start a vegetable garden. My problem is I do not know where to start. I have cleared out the yard, but the ground is hard. How do I soften it? What tools should I use? Should I just water it until it softens and then dig it up? Thanks.

0

I dont know how large your yard is, but deep-tine aeration may be the best way to break-up and loosen the soil conditions. If you have a small yard there are other smaller aeration methods (even shoes) you can find online that you can use to puncture and aerate the yard to loosen the ground. You could also roto-till the entire yard and reseed or re-sod as well. If you do not intend to strip the entire yard, you may wish to at least add some gypsum to the soil and it will help break up a dense clay condition you may have. Hope these tips are helpful and good luck with your new home!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"