What's wrong with my fiddle leaf fig? - Knowledgebase Question

Tacoma, Wa
Question by bianca5
For the past month, some of the leaves are browning from the outside and some of them just develop brown spots in the center. I had read that this might mean I'm over watering, so I have backed off on water and moved it to a place where it gets plenty of light. Soon it started growing a few new leaves that have this

0

It sounds like your fig tree may be infected with a fungal disease called rust. This causes spots that are raised and rust-colored on the leaf undersides, smooth and dark brown on the top of the leaf. Eventually the leaves turn yellow and die. Heavily infected trees won't bear a good fruit crop. To control, spray the tree with a copper-based fungicide in spring as soon as the first leaves reach full-size, then again in 3-4 weeks, making sure to cover the leaves well. Clean up all infected leaves as the fungus overwinters in plant debris.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"