A Plethora of Roses - Knowledgebase Question

San Mateo, Ca
Question by rubidium402
Just moved into a mid-century mod house built in 1955. 35 rose plants live on a fence line and get full sun all day. Sprinklers water for 5 mins 2x/day. Never had before (not my flower of choice) but I'd feel guilty about removing them b/c they are well established and 8'H. Spots and disease abound yet they bloom abundantly. How much do I prune and is there hope for recovery from years of neglect?

0

You can certainly improve the appearance of your roses with pruning and care, but roses will never be low-maintenance plants. To reduce their size, prune them back gradually over a period of several years; a good time to do this is in January and February. Watering only 5 minutes twice a day doesn't seem as if it is long enough to get water to the roots of such large roses, but if they seem to be growing well on this watering regimen, I wouldn't worry about it. There are a number of fungal diseases that can infect roses. How much you want to spray to control these depends a lot on your attitude on having perfect plants in the garden. Here's the URL to a UC Ag and Natural Resources web page with info on rose problems and their controls: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG...

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"