double flower pink althea - Knowledgebase Question

Plano, Te
Question by jlleath
I have recently purchased a large double flower pink althea. It is beautiful. I have read that in order to get larger flowers, one should cut it back in early spring. Is this true, and if so how much? This althea is in a tree form. The info on the tag, states average size 10' tall and 8' wide. I would like to keep it smaller than stated, would that be okay for the plant?
Thanks, Jan

0

Also called Rose-of-Sharon, althea blooms on new wood, meaning its flower buds form on wood produced during the current season. Pruning the shrub back in early spring forces new growth and thus increases the flowering. So, while it will get to be a large shrub if unpruned, you can certainly keep it in the neighborhood of 5 feet with regular pruning.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"