Stella D'Oro Lillies - Knowledgebase Question

Atlanta, Ge
Question by Gwen09
I have many 6 yr. old Stella D'Oro Lillies I would like to separate. When is the best time to do this and do I need to dig them up individually to seperate or can I just

0

Divide in early spring just as new growth starts or in late summer/early fall after blooming ends. A general rule for perennials is that each clump should have a good root system and several new shoots. However, daylilies can also be divided into what is called "single bud division," which is used to maximize the number of new plants. Each clump should still have a healthy chunk of root system, but can have just one bud. It's usually best to dig the whole plant and divide it, so you can remove dead or damaged plant material and reinvigorate the plant. Also, it's not good to leave open wounds on roots in the ground. However, daylilies tend to be so vigorous that you should be able to get away with slicing a chunk in the ground if you are trying to save on labor!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"