Hummingbird vine - Knowledgebase Question

Atco, Ne
Question by zachette33
My vine is about 3 years old, healthy, sending out alot of shoots. It just won't bloom. What am I doing wrong?

0

Do you have the botanical name of the plant that you can email to us? Unfortunately, hummingbird vine is a common name that could be alot of different plants. In general, though, lack of blooms may be caused by overfertilizing with nitrogen or a lack of phosphorus in the soil. Here?s some basic info on fertilizer and nutrients that plants require. The 3 numbers on a fertilizer bag refer to the percentage of N (nitrogen), P (phosphorus), and K (potassium) in the bag. There are different formulations for different purposes. In general terms, nitrogen produces lush green growth, phosphorus helps strengthen stems and produce flowers, and potassium keeps the root system healthy. If you're applying fertilizer to fruiting (e.g., tomatoes) or flowering plants, you're not as interested in the plant developing leaves as you are in it flowers and fruit, so you'd use a formulation lower in nitrogen and higher in phosphorus, such as 15-30-15. If you applied a high nitrogen fertilizer, or it was absorbing N from another source such as a nearby lawn, it would promote foliage rather than blooms. I hope this info helps.

Organic sources of nutrients:

Nitrogen: alfalfa meal, blood meal, coffee grounds, cottonseed meal, fish emulsion, seabird guano.
Phosphorus: bone meal, rock phosphate
Potassium: greensand, seaweed, kelp

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"