Carnations - Knowledgebase Question

Columbia, Ma
Question by christinecar
I've tried for the past 2 years to get carnations to grow, both in pots and in the soil, but they just won't. If they sprout, I'll end up with weak leafed plants that never bud and then die over the winter. I'm wondering if there's something in the soil they don't like. Roses and tomatoes grow really well there, so maybe it's too acidic for carnations?

0

Carnations grow best in cool weather and rich, well draining soils. You can try amending the soil with lots of compost prior to planting your seeds. Soil amendments will loosen clay soils and help all soils drain well. Start the seeds as soon as you can in the early spring so they can germinate and begin to grow while the weather is still cool. I hope your next crop grows well for you.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"