Dappled Willow - Knowledgebase Question

Minneapolis, Mi
Question by yolandamccr
It is 2-years old and growing very fast. It has overtaken the area. Should I trim it now or in Fall? I need to relocate the 2-Tree Peonies that sits behind the Dappled Willow, should I do that now? Thanks for all advise. Just me, Yo!

0

The dappled willow can grow quite large so many people do routinely prune it back very hard in early spring before it starts to grow for the season. Otherwise, you can prune selectively during the spring and summer and thin out some of the longest branches by removing them at the base. This will control the overall size and silhouette somewhat but still allow it to take on its naturally billowy shape.

Your peonies should be moved in the fall after frost has nipped the tops and the roots go into dormancy. If you move them now they will sulk for quite a long time and may not even bloom for you next year. If you wait, they won't even know they've been moved.

Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"