Hydranges - Knowledgebase Question

Peabody, Ma
Question by kathiemitch
I have several beautiful, healthy hydrangea bushes, but they have never bloomed. Every year they get nice green leaves, and grow to about two feet tall, but I never get any flowers.

0

In general, hydrangeas need about 4 hours of morning sunshine in order to bloom well. I don't know what type of hydrangea you purchased but if it is Hydrandea macrophylla (big leaf hydrangea), these plants flower on new shoots which develop on old wood. So, if your plant regularly dies down to ground level each winter, or if you prune it back drastically and there is no old wood left, you won't get any flowers. I'd take a stem with leaves on it to a local garden center and ask them to identify the plant. They should be able to tell you whether to expect flowers, or not. If it is a macrophylla you may be able to add some winter protection over the plant to keep the old wood from dying back each year. Wish I had better news for you and I hope you get some blooms next year!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"