Starting an Orange Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Brooksville, Fl
Question by jmfisher1
Hi, My grandmother has several citrus trees in her back yard that produce wonderful fruit. How can I bring that fruit to grow on my property. Do I start from seed? Somehow take a cutting? Thanks.

0

A seed may not grow true to the parent but that's the easiest way to try to propagate the tree. Cuttings aren't always successful but it might be another way to try. My favorite method is the easiest one - You'll need some spaghnum moss and some clear plastic wrap plus some tape. Choose a healthy branch that's about an inch in diameter, cut a one inch wide strip of bark from the branch, dust it with rooting hormone and wrap it with dampened spaghnum moss. Then wrap the entire package in plastic wrap. Make sure it is air tight - you want the moss to remain moist so roots will grow into it. Securely tape the plastic wrap to the branch on both ends but leave the center part of the package untaped. Leave it on the branch for the entire summer and winter. In one growing season there will be roots from that branch shooting into the wet moss. Next spring check to make sure there are roots growing in the moss. If so, cut the branch from the tre, unwrap the plastic but leave the moss attached and carefully plant your new tree in the ground or in a nursery pot. Your new tree will be an exact clone of the parent.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"