How do I move a small holly tree - Knowledgebase Question

Belleville, Il
Question by gargoyle824
I have a six foot holly tree in my yard planted by the previous owner. It was planted under two pine trees in an area near other trees where there is little if any sunlight. I wold like to move this tree. What is the best way to move it without killing it?

0

If your tree has only been in the ground for a year or two, you'll probably find that the root system has not ventured too far out of the original planting hole. But just in case it has, begin digging a reasonably large distance from the trunk so as to damage as few roots as possible during the process. Both spring and fall are good times to move trees and shrubs. Cool weather and abundant rainfall can help transplants become established before hot summer weather arrives. Prepare the new planting hole prior to digging the tree, and make the move as quickly as possible to keep the roots from too much exposure to drying air and sunshine. After planting water your tree well to help settle the soil. Continue monitoring the tree and water periodically to help it establish. Do not over-water as saturated soil conditions can be detrimental to a holly. Hope this helps and good luck!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"