Yellow Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Howell, Mi
Question by millebird
In the garden some plants, tomotoes/cukes are Does this mean too much water or something else? I remember that you should pull the bottom leaves off should I do this before they turn yellow?

0

I apologize for the delay in responding. We were flooded with questions and are working to catch up! Yellow leaves can be caused by many things including lack of nitrogen, insufficient light, water-logged soil (plant roots need oxygen to thrive), dry soil, or iron deficiency. If the older bottom leaves are yellow, but new growth is green, it's usually a lack of nitrogen. If new leaves are yellow, with green veins, it's usually a lack of iron. (Lack of nitrogen is a more common problem than lack of iron.) Soil should be kept moderately moist (but not wet). Finally, transplant shock can contribute to yellowing. If new growth shows up as green, that might be the problem. Try to isolate each of these possibilities one at a time to determine the problem. If it's just a few leaves, but new growth is healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. It's natural for plants to drop a few older leaves. I would just let them fall off on their own so that pulling doesn't leave an open wound for pests and diseases. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"