sago Palms - Knowledgebase Question

carol stream, Il
Question by rdjp0505
I have several sago palms, what kind of soil do they require, the will have to be re-planted soon, getting very big, also when we bring them in for the winter, they seem to get these cacoons on the leaves and drip a sap, how do we keep them from getting these
bugs during the winter.

0

Sago palms are reasonably slow growing and should not need to be repotted very often - maybe once every three or four years. When it's time to repot them use fresh potting soil and a container that's only one size larger than the current one. You can do an insect check before you bring them indoors in the fall. I just hose mine off with a strong stream of water from the hose, making sure to rinse the undersides of the leaves as well as the top of the leaves. This will dislodge any hitchhiking insect pests and rinse them off the plants. Enjoy your sagos!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"