Fertilizing Florida Orange Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Lancaster, NY
Question by budn
My aunt in Florida asked me to see if I could find out the best time to fertilize her orange trees. Can you help?

0

There is no magic formula for fertilizing citrus in Florida. Type of citrus, soil fertility and other factors all greatly affect the need for fertilizer.

Without a soil test of go by, I would suggest your aunt apply 1 cup of a 3-1-2 ratio fertilizer (such as 15-5-10) and 1/2 cup of Potassium Magnesium Sulfate (also called Sul-Po-Mag or K-Mag) per inch of trunk diameter every 4-6 weeks from February through July. Once the tree is 5 or 6 years old and depending on growth, she may choose to reduce the rate by 1/2 and the applications to every two months.