Hydrangea & Heat - Knowledgebase Question

Bolivia, No
Question by rfischer1
Hi,
My hydrangeas are suffering form the extreme heat we have had in the SE. The gorgeous blue and pink flowers have dried up and the existing ones are whitish in color. Some leaves have brown spots. I have been watering. Should I cut all the dead blooms off? I know not to cut the hard wood from the previous season but this would all be the new growth.
Thanks,
Randi

0

You can remove the dead flowers and the affected stems. I find that hydrangeas grow and flower best when they get about 4 hours of morning sunshine but shade from hot afternoon sun. It's not always convenient to move plants, but if yours are going to suffer from the hot summer sunshine you might want to at least consider moving them to a spot where they will be protected from afternoon sun. Best wishes with your hydrangeas!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"