Early Blight - Knowledgebase Question

Irving, Te
Question by judidan
North Texas - My tomatoes have early blight What can I do to prevent this for fall planting?

0

Early Blight is caused by the Alternaria fungus. It overwinters on infected plant material, even seeds, so it's hard to completely remove the spore reservoir from the garden by cleaning up all the vines and fruit. Early Blight works slowly, whereas Late Blight (caused by the Phytophthora fungus) may kill plants within a week. The fungus is always growing somewhere and releasing spores into the air, which moves on wind currents. For this reason, you may want to try using Maneb. It is safe to use on vegetables and might halt the development of the disease. The best way to keep your plants from getting blight is to keep them as healthy as possible all season long ? and be sure to grow disease resistant tomatoes whenever possible.
If you are growing tomatoes in the same site every year, the soil could use a break from constant monocropping, but if you don't have room for a second plot, I suggest loading up the soil with good compost. Compost contains lots of helpful organisms which can work against disease organisms. Work a few inches into the existing soil, and then spread several inches on top of the soil as a barrier mulch. Once your tomatoes are planted, mulch with straw as well. Keep your plants healthy so they'll be in top condition to resist disease. Stake or cage them, and keep the lowest leaves from coming in direct contact with the ground.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"