pest control - Knowledgebase Question

Parlin, Ne
Question by melinda1122
i have tomatoes and green peppers planted. I have a fence around the garden. Every time one of my tomatoes get is getting riped its eaten, What should I do? I have tried critter power and it doesn't seem to be working What can I do?

0

I apologize for the delay in responding. We were flooded with questions and are working to catch up! Without knowing exactly what is eating your veggies it's difficult to provide a control. I'm going to assume that your fence doesn't have a top on it, so it may be birds flying in. There are two tactics you can use to keep birds from eating your crops: scaring them away and using barriers around your plants. Products such as the Great Horned Owl sentry (an owl-shaped flag made of mylar) wave in the breeze and scare birds away from your plants. You can also fashion your own flags using strips of reflective, lightweight fabric. There are the old standbys such as hanging aluminum pie pans from the branches, metallic reflective tape, wind chimes. These do work for some folks on some birds, especially if you keep changing and moving them about. It's best to wait until fruit is ripening before installing the flags so the birds don't have a chance to get used to them beforehand. You may also need to alternate between different scare tactics for the same reason. Barriers such as bird netting can be draped over your plants to make the fruits inaccessible to birds, although you need to monitor regularly to make sure birds don't get caught in it. Also, check your fencing to make sure nothing is burrowing beneath it. A general guideline to keep out many animals is a fence that's three feet high and buried one foot underground. If you see a different culprit, send us another email and we'll provide a control. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"