WEED KILLER - Knowledgebase Question

Rochester, Ne
Question by jmschlageter
What would you use to kill creping charlie. I tried all kinds of weed killers

0

Creeping charlie (Glechoma hederacea) can be a real pest. Many gardeners have had good luck eradicating the plant by mixing 10 ounces 20-Mule Team Borax in 2-1/2 gallons of water and applying the mixture to the weeds. The boron doesn't affect turfgrass, but overwhelms the roots of creeping Charlie. Cool weather reduces its effectiveness so apply when the weather is warm. The University of Minnesota and Iowa State University have tested this recipe and report good results. I hope it works for you, too. Or if you'd rather try an herbicide, the most effective broadleaf herbicide products are those that contain dicamba. Trimec and Ortho's Weed-B-Gon Weed Killer for Lawns are two widely sold products that contain dicamba. Fall (mid-September through early November) is generally the best time to control ground ivy. Two applications are usually necessary. The second application should be 14 days after the first. As always, when using pesticides, read and follow label directions carefully. Good luck with your eradication project.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"