Mandevella - Knowledgebase Question

Lebanon, Pe
Question by debbiejean10
My mother in law bought me a beautiful mandevella. She told me they can be taken indoors for winter. Please advise how, I know she will ask if I did. Thanks

0

I apologize for the delay in responding. We were flooded with questions and are working to catch up! Mandevilla are cold hardy for USDA zones 10-11, which is 30 to 40 degrees. So, erring on the side of caution, you'd want to move your mandvilla in when it's around 50 degrees. Move it gradually to a shadier location (about 2 weeks before taking it inside) to begin acclimating it to the lower light levels it will have indoors, but do not leave it outside when temperatures drop below fifty. Check it all over for pests before bringing inside. Trim it back as needed to either disengage it from a trellis and/or make it fit indoors. Then move it indoors to the sunniest spot you have. Keep it out of drafts and keep the humidity around it high if possible. Expect some yellowing of leaves in protest of the move. Mandevilla usually won't bloom indoors unless it is in a spot like a solarium. Reduce watering and fertilizing as the plant's growth slows. In spring, reverse the process to reacclimate it to the outdoors. You might also repot it in the spring and possibly trim it back a bit in preparation for the coming growth spurt outdoors.

When ready to repot, plant in a porous, fast-draining soil mix, such as one with equal parts peat moss, commercial potting mix, and perlite or pumice. Fertilize with a controlled-release fertilizer following label directions. To keep plants attractive during their growth period, remove faded flowers regularly, and pinch fastest-growing shoots every month or so. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"