Fall crop kale/chard/lettuce/spinach - Knowledgebase Question

Evanston, Il
Question by nnewton2
Hi - When should I plant seeds for a fall crop of kale/chard/lettuce/spinach? Do you know if Home Depot will be carrying small plants of any of these vegetables at the right time for a fall planting?

0

Actually, right now for direct sowing root crops such as beets, carrots and radishes, and salad greens such as kale, chard, spinach and lettuce. Succession sow every 7 to 14 days into August to have an ongoing harvest until your first frost. Be careful to maintain moist soil and if possible, plant where they have protection from hot afternoon sun. The National Gardening Association answers garden questions on the site, but we don't have information on retail activities. The best bet is to ask the garden center manager. Sorry I can't be more helpful on that.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"