Bradford Pear - Knowledgebase Question

Ballwin, Mi
Question by wschmitt1224
I have two 40 ft.tall Bradford Pear trees in my front yard, 25 ft apart. One seems to be dying, partial dead leves and branches. They are both no more than 7 years old,Is there some sort of decease causing this & what can be done to save this tree? Thank you.

0

Bradford Pear tress tend to be a bit weak wooded and have tight branch angles that can eventually split, for instance when they grow old and large and become weighted down in a bad winter storm with wind, snow and ice. So their life span usually is not as long as we might like. Too many branches protrude from a central point of the tree causing interference between branches and resulting in the death or decay of some branches. I would prune out the dead growth but in time as they grow old, pruning can't really correct it -- especially once they have some size -- because it is just their natural overall structure. They have somewhat fallen out of favor as a result. There are some other cultivars of ornamental pear with better branching (and good disease resistance especially fireblight) that are less likely to break apart such as the Aristocrat Pear Tree. Your local professionally trained and certified nurseryman should be able to show you these. Of course keeping the tree in overall good health will help, too. I hope this helps.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"