Unknown pests growing on tree leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Norristown, Pe
Question by egelbetty
We have many 'cherry' trees. I say cherry because I really don't know. It is a very small fruit, shaped like a cherry, but the pit is almost as big as the berry. They ripen towards the end of July.

The problem is pests growing on the leaves. They look like little spikes sticking out of the leaf. A leaf may have 1-2 spikes, or 100 or so. Whatever is in these spikes eat & kill the leaves.

0

I don't know exactly what your tree is, but from your description I'd say the spikes sticking out of the leaves are called galls and they are the direct result of gall mites. These are interesting little pests and I've found a publication with photos and descriptions of the galls they make: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/p...

There's usually no reason to control them but you can read all about it in the publication.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"