hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

carpentersville, Il
Question by loidamontecl
I planted a bare root peegee hydrangea a month ago. I don't see any leaves showing up. What is the problem?

I planted 5 limelight hydrangeas last year but some are growing with thicker leaves & NEW branches, but others are not. What is the problem?

0

If you planted your hydrangea a month ago and you haven't seen any growth on it at this point, it is probably not going to grow. You can try scratching the bark off some stems with your thumbnail- if you see green underneath, the plants tissue is still alive, so I'd give the plant some more time and see if it leafs out. If the tissue under the bark is brown, the plant has died. I can't say why for sure, but it's possible that the roots dried out before it was planted, which can happen if a bare root plant isn't handled properly. Without knowing the growing conditions of your other hydrangeas, I can't say for sure why some are doing better than others. It's possible that some were more vigorous than other when they were planted. These hydrangeas are adaptable plants, but prefer moist, well-drained fertile soil and full to part sun.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"