growing new lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Kinnelon, Ne
Question by natandal7
This is not the best time to grow new lawn, but construction requires I do it now. How often do I have to water the lawn seeds. I have a well and can't use unlimited water.
Seeds are on dirt, can I leave them until it cools off and rains more often?

0

As you note, midsummer can be a tough time to get a lawn going. Late August to early September is the best time in your area, as the cooler, rainier fall weather encourages the grass growth and fall frost kills off annual weeds, but the grass keep growing until really cold weather sets in. However, sometimes it's not practical to wait until fall, as in your case. Whenever you seed a lawn, you need to keep the seed bed continuously moist for best germination and growth and in the summer this often means watering twice a day. But you only need to water enough to wet the top couple of inches of soil, so even though you'll need to do it frequently, you won't need to use that much water when you do. If you sow the seeds, but don't water, you'll end up with a lot of seeds that never germinate or take hold, but the weeds will. It would be better just to wait until fall to seed the lawn if you don't feel you can water during the summer. If you spread mulch over your grass seed, this will help to conserve moisture and increase germination. You can use straw or a commercially available mulch/fertilizer combination products; Pennmulch is one brand that's avaialbel.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"