sick tree - Knowledgebase Question

Detroit, Mi
Question by lindafmallen
My tree had beautiful red leaves when planted. The tree somehow became sick and the trucnk was splitting. We cut the splitting trunk but could not afford to have the roots dug up. (that was last summer) The tree has now sprouted limbs with healthy looking leaves, but they are now green not purplish red. What can we do to make the leaves red again. I think it is called a red oak.

0

I don't think you can get the leaves to become red. What happened was that you purchased a grafted tree. The top part with the red leaves was grafted onto a vigorous rootstock. The rootstock has green leaves, not the red leaves of the grafted part. When you cut down the red leaved top part the rootstock sent up suckers. These will grow into trees but they will always have green leaves.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"