camellias - Knowledgebase Question

Irvine, Ca
Question by rosseskc
I have a camellia that is 4 years old and has never flowered. This year it had 2 buds, but they fell off before blooming. I feed it camellia food at the correct intervals, so what do you think is the problem? I do deep watering twice a week.

0

How frustrating for you! Camellias have a reputation for setting more buds than they can open, so bud drop is be a natural phenomenon, especially if your plant is otherwise healthy and growing well. However, bud drop can be caused by overwatering in the cool months, or underwatering in the summer (doesn't sound like either apply to you!). Bud drop can also be caused by spells of very low humidity. Monitor your plant for signs of ill-health, and after flower buds form, thin clusters at branch tips to one or two fat flower buds, leaving the slender leaf buds alone. The remaining buds should open into beautiful, large flowers.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"