Montauk Daisy - Knowledgebase Question

Annandale, Vi
Question by joanculver
My montauk daisy is about 2 feet with no blossoms in sight. Should I prune it back slightly to make it bushier, or will I lose blooms? It gets about 6 hours of sun a day?

0

Montauk daisies (Nipponanthemum nipponicum) do get leggy, floppy, and out of control. You can cut them back twice during the growing season: the first time in about the middle of May when you see the growth starting to swell; the second time is during the last week of June. In May, cut them back to 4 inches; in June, cut one half of what has grown since the May cut. You are cutting about six weeks apart. Usually you won't do anymore trimming after the last week of June but since this is only the first week of July I think you can safely trim yours back now. With regular pruning as described above your daisies should be sturdier and less likely to flop onto neighboring plants.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"