Japapnese Beetles and Cutworms - Knowledgebase Question

Lebanon, Oh
Question by hornsby_gary
I need to know what works well on getting rid of Japanese Beetles and what to do (other than using Sevin) on cutworms on cauliflower, broccoli, and brussel sprouts. My children said to use BT on the leaf plants. Is this good?

0

Bt, or bacillus thuringensis, is a great product to use against caterpillars but it won't bother Japanese beetles. Bt is sold as Dipel or Thuricide and is safe to use on vegetables.

It often takes a two-pronged approach to control Japanese Beetles. You are seeing the adults which were grubs in your lawn and garden earlier this year. So, you'll want to control both the adults you're seeing now, and any grubs that may overwinter in your soil. Milky spore, Bacillus popilliae, is a disease-causing bacterium that is effective against grubs of Japanese beetles. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Carbaryl (Sevin 50WP) will control the adults but I prefer to use something a little less powerful. Try neem oil (Bonide Bon-Neem or Green Light Neem Concentrate) or cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate) or permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate) are labeled for use against Japanese beetles on landscape plants. As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"