weed killers - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, Ge
Avatar for rajknataraja
Question by rajknataraja
I am keen to understand how a chemical that is sprayed on my lawn can kill only the weed and not the grass itself?

The reason you can do this is that grasses are part of a group of plants called monocots, with generally have narrow leaves and veins that run the length of the leaf. Many lawn weeds are in the group called dicots or broad-leafed plants, with a branching pattern of veins and generally wider leaves. The broad-leaf weed killers only kill that group of plants and don't affect the dicots, or grasses. So this is why the herbicide will kill plants like dandelions while not harming the lawn grass. It is also why these weed killers are not effective against grass-like weeds such as nutsedge in a lawn.

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by RootedInDirt and is called "Purple Tulips"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.