PRUNING GRAPE VINES - Knowledgebase Question

MONETTE, Ar
Question by zboys612
I AM A BEGINNER WITH GRAPE VINES. THIS YEAR MY VINES ARE LOADED WITH GRAPES, BUT, THE VINES ARE REALLY OUT OF BOUNDS. I HAVE THEM STAKED WITH THREE HORIZONTAL WIRES TO RUN ON. DO I NEED SOMETHING ACROSS THE TOP FOR THEM TO RUN ON ALSO? I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT PRUNING THEM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. TERRI

0

Now that your grapevines have produced clusters of grapes you can thin the clusters out - those that remain will produce larger, sweeter grapes. Remove every third grape cluster by cutting it off the plant. As for the new growth your vine will produce this summer, you can add some more fencing and wire or you can simply train the new vines over the tops of the other vines. Grapevines don't mind wrapping around one another. Next spring you'll want to prune your vines severely to promote fruit production and to keep them under control.

Here's a publication from Washington State University with pruning guidelines along with sketches and photos. It's really comprehensive and links to other issues of grape growing which you might find helpful.
http://maritimefruit.wsu.edu/G...

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"