My kousa dogwood doesn't blossom - Knowledgebase Question

Holland, Ma
Question by mariejforand
My kousa, about 5 years old & 8 feet tall has never bloomed.It is planted in what should be an ideal spot. I have fertilized it. Is it just too young to blossom or is there something I should be doing to help it? Thanks for any help you can give me!

0

Your tree may be just a little too young to bloom so patience is the answer. I'd give it another year to flower. If it doesn't, try withholding fertilizer and try a little root pruning to shock it into waking up and setting those flowers. Root pruning sounds worse than it really is. Just use a shovel and sink it into the ground the full length of the blade. Move over about 12 inches and sink the blade into the ground again. Your goal is to sever some of the feeder roots which will prompt new growth. Start the rows about 18 inches from the trunk of your tree. After you've gone all around the tree, move back about 12" and repeat the process, going all around the tree again. Hope this works to make your tree sit up and take notice!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"