How do I get rid of Lily of the Valley. - Knowledgebase Question

Eagan, Mi
Question by joanie1749
I have been trying to rid our gardens of Lily of the Valley for 21 years. They continue to grow back in our perennial garden.

0

You'll never get rid of them without digging every last pip or piece of root out of the ground. They're a little like wild onions or wild violets - the underground bulbs store lots of energy. That's why they are difficult to eradicate. Even if the tops are killed back, stored energy from the bulb allows new foliage to emerge. Herbicides available to homeowners are not very effective against wild onion and repeat applications must be made. If you want to try, cut the foliage from the plant and immediately paint the stubs with glyphosate (Round Up). This is a vegetation killer and will kill lawns and nearby plants if they are touched with the chemical so apply carefully. The only other sure way of getting rid of the weedy plant is to dig it up, bulb and all.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"