Sloping yard - Knowledgebase Question

LAWTON, Mi
Question by bbg08
The side of my yard has a drastic slope down away from the house. There is approx. 20 feet of weeds before the yard levels into woods. What can I plant so we can stop mowing the weeds and have something that looks nice & is easy to maintain? I've thought about fruit trees to make the space useful but the slope is extreme and difficult to walk. Perhaps groundcover or flowers? thanks!

0

Trees would root well and help with the erosion (in time), but the groundcover would be a better option for you in this case. Some really rugged groundcovers include Ajuga (Carpet bugle), Hedra (ivy), Cotoneaster (pyracantha), and Vinca minor (periwinkle). Ajuga has deep green leaves with deep blue highlights. In the spring it sends out spikes of bright blue flowers. The flowers fade, the spikes collapse and no deadheading is necessary; Ivy doesn't flower (to any significant degree) and can become invasive, but it is fast growing; cotoneaster produces small white flowers and clusters of red-orange berries in the fall (birds love the berries); vinca produces blue or white flowers from spring through summer and does not require deadheading. Any of these will work well for the site you describe. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"