tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

kyle, Te
Question by rl_herrera
Why are the tomatoes splitting as they are growing on the vine. When I pick them, I have to throw them since the wound is covered with a white gooey gunk?

0

Splitting can be caused by uneven watering. On almost-mature tomatoes the skin has stopped growing but the inside tissues are still absorbing water. Too much water (either rainfall or from the hose) at this point in the growth process can result in splitting. Try cutting back on your watering, applying a thorough soaking to the plant only twice a week. You can try growing split-resistant type such as Burpee's 'Delicious' if your weather is such that you can't control the amount of water your plants get. The white goo is a byproduct of the open wound. Good luck with your tomatoes.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"