My Gardenia Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Wellford, So
Avatar for mcgrs5
Question by mcgrs5
The leaves have this Black Mold? I think have tried soappy water but no luck please help.
Thanks
Mike

It may be that aphids are feeding on your plant, excreting a sticky substance called honeydew, which is weathering and turning into a black coating called sooty mold. In itself, it won't harm your gardenia. It should wash off easily (or weather away on its own), but it does indicate insect feeding, which can eventually compromise the health of your plant. I'd wash it off with a strong stream of water (which will also dislodge the insect pests). Do this regularly to discourage the pests and to help wash away the sooty mold. Best wishes with your garden!

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Murky and is called "Common Daylilies"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.