Shallots & Boiler Onions When to Pick? - Knowledgebase Question

Mary Esther, Fl
Question by isabeau_rose
I have never planted veg bulbs like shallots & boiler onions.They are growning great, but when do you know when to pick them?Do they flower?The tops look like green onions, can you use the tops or will that make the bulbs die?Just want to know,so I don't pick too soon.Planted 4-19.Both are planted in hanging baskets.Thank You for any information.

0

Your shallots and onions will be ready to harvest when the tops turn yellow and flop over onto the ground. Until then the green tops are manufacturing and transporting energy down into the roots and bulbs. It's okay to cut a few of the leaves to use in the kitchen but the more you remove, the less the bulb will grow. Just keep watering your plants as normal and wait for the tops to die down on their own. Then you can harvest them. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"