Weeds and mushrooms in my lawn also how to keep my lawn green and healthy - Knowledgebase Question

Milwaukee, Wi
Question by vickey01
What can I use to kill the these weeds and mushrooms? I've tried weed killers and they work on some of the weeds but not all. How often should I use weed killers? How do I get a green heathly lawn?

0

Mushrooms found in lawns often develop from buried scraps of construction lumber, dead tree roots, or other organic matter. The fungi that produce these mushrooms are beneficial because they decompose organic matter in the soil, making nutrients available to other plants. These mushrooms usually are harmless to grasses, but some people consider them unsightly or want to get rid of them because young children play in the area. Remove mushrooms growing from buried wood or roots by picking them as they appear or by digging out the wood. Many of these mushrooms are associated with overirrigation or poor drainage. Removing excess thatch and aerating the soil to improve water penetration may help in some cases. You can sometimes eliminate mushrooms growing from organic matter by applying nitrogen fertilizer at a rate of 1 pound of actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn. The nitrogen should be readily available and not slow-release or water-insoluble formulations. Examples include 5 pounds of ammonium sulfate (21-0-0) or special lawn fertilizers such as 6 pounds of 16-6-8 or 4 pounds of 27-3-4 per 1,000 square feet of lawn.

As for the weeds: I'd start by digging some of the weeds and having them identified so you will know your foe. A well staffed nursery or a Master Gardener clinic can help with identification and with control suggestions. A major step in controlling weeds is to encourage a thick and healthy lawn by watering, feeding and mowing on a regular basis. I'd dig out the worst of the weeds, apply a winterizer fertilizer and then, in the spring, apply a corn gluten meal pre emergent product to keep new weeds from sprouting. There are weed control products formulated especially for southern lawns that can help, as well. It may take an entire year to rid your lawn of weeds and help it grow thick and lush, but once you do, weeds should be at a minimum. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"