perennial similar to rosa rugosa - Knowledgebase Question

Romulus, Ne
Question by jboergers
I have rosa rugosa along a split rail fence. It is beautiful until Japanese bettles infest it. We just put up another split rail fence on the other side of the driveway. Is there a red flowering shrub that would complitment the roses but not attract Japanese beetles?

0

I'm afraid Japanese beetles will feed on most any plant so planting something else won't cure the problem. You can use a neem oil based product such as Rose Defense to help with the beetles.

It often takes a two-pronged approach to control Japanese Beetles. You are seeing the adults which were grubs in your lawn and garden earlier this year. So, you'll want to control both the adults you're seeing now, and any grubs that may overwinter in your soil. Milky spore, Bacillus popilliae, is a disease-causing bacterium that is effective against grubs of Japanese beetles. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Carbaryl (Sevin 50WP) will control the adults but I prefer to use something a little less powerful. Try neem oil (Bonide Bon-Neem or Green Light Neem Concentrate) or cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate) or permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate) are labeled for use against Japanese beetles on landscape plants. As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"