Plums infected - Knowledgebase Question

Cleveland, Ge
Question by marafjoyce
I have a plum tree that produces copious fruit, but they have a tiny white worm inside near the pit. I have sprayed three times prior to fruiting with insecticidal soap, but didn't seem to help.

0

These worms are a stage in the life-cycle of a beetle called the plum curculio. When the fruit is young, the plum curculio lays its eggs on the surface of the skin, cutting the skin and folding it over the egg. When the egg hatches, the worm then crawls to the center of the peach. You may notice a small crescent-shaped scar on the surface of the fruit shortly after the egg has been laid. After the eggs have hatched, it is too late to spray; spray with Sevin or Malathion before the eggs are laid, when the flower petals begin to fall (about 5 days after bloom).

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"